shell

ACMFIU acmfiu at serss0.fiu.edu
Tue Feb 19 14:40:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb14.164401.540 at wpi.WPI.EDU> fenn at wpi.WPI.EDU (Brian Fennell) writes:
>If it is just for your personal use, you might try porting bash.  I have
>not looked at the code but, if you have an ANSI compiler I would bet
>the changes that need to be made are few.  Size would be your biggest
>problem.

I was going to port bash until i talked to the FSF and they said they didn't
like their stuff existing on apple computers because of apple's lawsuit
agains microsoft, hp, and i think some others regarding them copying "apple's"
user interface. incidentally, xerox is now suing apple claiming that apple
stole the user interface from design work done at the palo alto research
center (they had the first graphic GUI there but because cost was too high
it never sold much).

anyway, for that reason i'm having to rewrite every GNU thing myself (or
those of us in the apple community anyway). incidentally, this is for an
apple II there are a few other shells i could try to port (i.e. other
PD ones) but i would rather do this myself to learn how these things work.

albert