Dot in PATH?

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Wed Feb 6 23:26:58 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of fenn at wpi.WPI.EDU (Brian Fennell):
:In article <1423 at tau.sm.luth.se> d87-man at sm.luth.se (Mikael Adolfsson) writes:
:>bob at wyse.wyse.com (Bob McGowen x4312 dept208) writes:
:>
:>deleted discussion...
:>
:>>PATH=:/usr/lbin...<rest of path deleted>
:>>    ^^
:>>This is a null path entry which defautlt to dot.  You can have null
:>>entries anywhere by either placing two colons together (::) or placing
:>>a single colon at the beginning (as you did) or at the end.
:>
:>This is not true for BASH.
:>At least version 1.05.11 allow null entries
:>without interpreting them as dot.
:
:That is definately a bug in BASH!
:Even brain-dead csh fools with "path" and leaves "PATH" in standard
:format.

Sorry, take it up with your nearest POSIX 1003.1 representative.  Maybe
it'll change in a dot-1 revision in 7 years or whatever.  But I doubt
it: this is considered a bad thing for various reasons.  The problem
is that old systems interpret "" as though it were ".", which is no
longer the case in POSIX-compliant applications.  Like Bash.  I kinda
woulda thought they've left it up to the kernel the barf (it does on
my system no matter what program should try this), but maybe they put
the code into the shell itself.

--tom
--
"Still waiting to read alt.fan.dan-bernstein using DBWM, Dan's own AI window
manager, which argues with you for 10 weeks before resizing your window."