csh page and prompt script

Matthew A Henry nr3m at unix.cis.pitt.edu
Tue Feb 19 13:32:38 AEST 1991

Hi,

I am trying to write a csh script that will do the following:
Take the output from ls (it will be a long list of files) and
have that output paged one screen at a time, like it was piped
through more. After each page of the listing is displayed, I
would like to prompt the user for a string.  If the user hits
return without entering a string, then the next page of the
listing would be displayed, but if the user does enter a string,
I would like it to be assigned to a shell variable, and then
exit the script.

Any thoughts on the possibility of doing this, e-mailed or posted,
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt Henry

nr3m at unix.cis.pitt.edu