sed 's/foobar/$string/g'.... can't do this?

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Fri Feb 1 11:05:57 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of gwc at root.co.uk (Geoff Clare):
:})
:})Xstring=`sed 's/[\/&\\]/\\&/g' <<!
:})$string
:})!
:})`
:})sed 's/foobar/'"$Xstring"'/g'
:
:}Did you actually try your solution?  I guess not.
:
:}The following works:
:
:}Xstring=`sed 's/[\/&\\\\]/\\\\&/g' <<!
:}$string
:}!
:}`

Gotta love these languages where the backslashes just keep building
until almost that's all there is.  Reminds me of writing troff macros.
Just keep adding backslashes until it works. :-)

--tom
--
"Hey, did you hear Stallman has replaced /vmunix with /vmunix.el?  Now
 he can finally have the whole O/S built-in to his editor like he