File from MacHell

Lee Phillips phillips at fozzie.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Jun 26 07:06:24 AEST 1991

I ftp'd to a Macintosh running some version of NCSA Telnet, and, after
going to the directory of interest, said "dir".  I got a list of
files, including one with a trailing asterisk.  I got the file, and
there it was in my directory on the Sun running SunOs Unix Something.
However, it was zero length.  I tried to delete it with rm, using
every combination of quoting and escaping and globbing that I knew,
and every time I got the reply: HellFile* not found.  Saying "ls -q"
showed the entry "HellFile?". I finally ftp'd to myself on the Sun and
issued a delete command from there, and it worked!  Going to the Mac
Finder I saw that the name was really HellFile[non-ascii-character].
Now here is the question: Can a lowly user unlink a file that can not
be mentioned by name?  I couldn't get anywhere with clri.  And how
does one deal, with ftp, with files on Macs whose names have non-ascii
characters in them?

--
                                           Lee Phillips
                                           phillips at fozzie.nrl.navy.mil