Passing environment to rlogin session

David S. Browning browning at nas.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 6 15:43:23 AEST 1991

>From one machine (SGI 4D/60 running IRIX 3.3.1), I want to start two
seperate rlogin sessions on another machine, and I want the sessions
to start up differently.  Is there a way to:

1)  Provide an environment variable to the rlogin session which the
remote .login could check for?

or

2)  Provide a command to be executed by the remote host upon login?
Like BSD rsh, but retaining interactive terminal characteristics.

I want something like

	/usr/ucb/rsh remotehost emacs

but that gives me

	Please set the environment variable TERM; see tset(1).

(The remotehost is also an SGI, running IRIX 3.3.2.)  This is clearly
a job for X, but that must wait until IRIX 4.0.  I was hoping to pass
an environment variable in lieu of a command, but the man pages aren't
encouraging.  [SGI, any undocumented option to rlogin, like wsh -Z7
used to be?]

Please reply via e-mail.  I'll post a summary to the appropriate
group(s).  If it's an SGI NeWS feature/hack I'll spare comp.unix.*.

Many thanks,
David
--
| Internet:  browning at nas.nasa.gov                  Phone:  (415) 604-4321   |