Is my shell broken or what?

Michael Greim mg at sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de
Tue Jun 11 02:11:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun7.045124.26811 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:
> Here is the session example:

[...]
> phil at ux1:/cso/staff/phil 4> echo ${test2}
> Variable syntax.
[...]
> I have seen before where things like csh have little bugs here or there
> that are different from vendor to vendor.  Are the vendors getting into
> the code and changing stuff?

It's a well known bug in csh.
If you play around a little you will notice that the handling of
names differs in "foreach", $-expansion, "set" ... constructs.
I have fixed it some years ago, and if you are lucky enough to have source,
you can apply the patches available at our ftp-server cs.uni-sb.de
(134.96.252.31) in /pub/bsd/csh.

	-mg
--
 .-. .-.  .-.  Michael Greim
(   X   )( __) e-mail : mg at cs.uni-sb.de
 \ / \ /  \ /  or     : ...!uunet!unido!sbsvax!mg