DCL and EDT for Unix?

Chris Siebenmann cks at hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Sat Jun 22 13:36:04 AEST 1991

rbn at ralph.uucp (Bob Boyd) writes:
| I suggest that if there's a choice available, let the users have their
| choice.  After all, why not?  Except for cost of providing the alternative
| what is lost?

 If people assume that providing something also means that you'll
support it, providing things can have hidden costs that make it
undesirable. If this is the case, you probably don't want to provide
all sorts of editors to your users unless you want to learn each one's
idiosyncracies (or can dig up some interested user who's willing to
support it and can in fact devote time to doing this).

--
    ported program:	  a program which takes constant or increasing
			  effort to port to each new machine.