DCL and EDT for Unix?

Udo Blatzheim udo at aragon.stgt.sub.org
Mon Jun 24 09:05:51 AEST 1991

Hello,

I don't have the last messages to read, but I hope i can help
a little bit to see the differences between VMS/DCL and UNIX.

You can have a very usefull book from digital:

UNIX for VMS Users
Philip E. Bourne

Digital Press
12 Crosby Drive
Bedford, Massachusetts 01730

Order Number EY-C177E-DP
DP ISBN 1-55558-034-3
PH ISBN 0-13-947433-1

This book is for VAX users who are making the transition from the
VMS to the UNIX operating system. It follows a logical sequence
from diskussion of fundamental concepts and basic command procedures
through the use of high-level languages, programming the operating
system, text processing, and networked communications. Appendixes
provide command and file summeries and crossreference tables.
Emphasis is on Berkeley UNIX and the C shell, althought most of
the features discussed are pertinent to any version of UNIC-ULTRIX,
AT&T System V, System III, Xenix, and others.

"The text emphasizes the practical aspects of UNIX throughout.
 It is loaded with everyday examples of performing tasks, each of
 which is compared to its closest VMS counterpart ... [unless]
 no counterpart exists. If you have some familiarity with the
 VMS example presented, and compare it to the UNIX example and
 read the explanation, you should become a competent UNIX user
 in a short time."

                                     From the Author's Preface

regards,
     Udo