ksh prompt

aaron.l.hoffmeyer noraa at cbnewsk.cb.att.com
Sat Mar 9 09:47:06 AEST 1991

Thanks to Ihor Kinal, I've set PS1 so that it prints in reverse video on
my terminal.  This is what I have in my .profile:

           export RMSO=`tput rmso`
           export SMSO=`tput smso`
           export PS1='${SMSO}${SYSNAME} ${PWD#HOME/}-> ${RMSO} '

Yes, it can get long if the path to where you are at is long, but that
doesn't bother me.  What I like is that when I am running windows or
layers I can immediately tell where I am at in a window.  No need for
pwd.  Also, I can tell which machine I am logged on to in the window or
layer (as long as I put the above lines in all my .profiles on the
machines that I routinely work on.  I know there are many ways to get
this same information and have it displayed in X Windows, but I like to
be consistent across machines.

Anyway, try this out - you might like it.

Aaron L. Hoffmeyer
TR at CBNEA.ATT.COM