tcsh source without csh source license

Tim Ramsey tar at math.ksu.edu
Sun Mar 31 21:48:04 AEST 1991

palmerp at galois.math.orst.edu (Paul A. Palmer) writes:

>tom at itc.univie.ac.at (Tom Kovar) writes:

>   I remember some time ago I heard about tcsh source which did not require
>   the csh source for compilation (it was simply calling /bin/csh internally);
>   but unfortunatelly I do not know where it was.
>   Has anybody an idea where to find it?
>   Thanx,
>							   Tom

>If anyone has this information, please post it.  Our system administrator
>won't install tcsh because we can't get source, just binaries. I've seen
>requests for this from time to time, but I've never seen a positive response
>from anyone. I'm beginning to think that tcsh which doesn't require csh source
>is a myth.

It's not a myth; I use it here.  Grab the 4.3bsd-reno csh sources from
wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4) or wherever else they are.  Then ftp to
ee.cornell.edu (128.84.253.11) and grab

   /pub/tcsh-5.20/tcsh.reno-5.20.02.tar.Z

Follow the directions in the tcsh README.

There are also tar files for 4.3bsd and 4.3bsd-tahoe, if that's the csh
sources you have.

Good luck,

Tim
--
Tim Ramsey/system administrator/tar at math.ksu.edu/(913) 532-6750/2-7004 (FAX)
Department of Mathematics, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506-2602