ksh - how do you keep aliases permanent?

lawrence.v.cipriani lvc at cbnews.att.com
Mon Mar 11 14:17:51 AEST 1991

In article <544 at genco.bungi.com> rad at genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) writes:
>When defining aliases, is there a way to keep them permanent as they are defined
>rather than inserting them directly into .profile?  If I have to, I'll write
>something that makes aliases and stores them in a file that is launched by
>.profile at login but would like to know if it can be done before spending
>time on that routine.

I guess I'm not entirely certain what you mean by "keep them permanent."
If you want those aliases and functions accessible to sub-shells try this:
export and define a variable called ENV in .profile; $ENV is the name of
an environment file ksh will automatically "dot" after .profile when you
login.  You do not have to say . $ENV in your .profile, it is redundant
[at login].
Larry Cipriani, att!cbvox!lvc or lvc at cbvox.att.com
"Fight fire with fire, I always say" -- Bugs Bunny