Awk with passed parameters

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Mon Mar 11 11:39:57 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens):
:  If he adds that dash, then things should work on virtually any version of
:awk, since variable assignments in file arguments were supported in very early
:versions of awk and have continued to be supported in most versions.  Tom, do
:you know of a version of awk which won't work properly if an extra file
:argument of "-" is added to the end of the awk command?

Nope, that seems to work on on the version I just tested.

It really bugs me though that you should have to do that for old awk
and not for the more recent incarnations.  I call it a bug.

--tom