NFS File identity resolution?

Mayank Prakash prakash at fyrpwr.enet.dec.com
Sat Mar 16 09:22:19 AEST 1991

In article <7169 at idunno.Princeton.EDU>, subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) writes:
|->
|-> You can stat() both files, and compare the inodes and see if they're the
|-> same. This would only be a problem, I would guess, if the two files had the
|-> exact same inode number but in fact came from two different disks. Of
That is the problem I am trying to solve.
|-> course, you could do a simple popen() to df, chop out the right field, and
|-> make sure that they're the same. This would confirm that they were mounted

This would almost work, except that df truncates the name of the source
file, and it needs an extra process spawn. Perhaps I should rather ask
how does df work, instead?

 -mayank.

| InterNet: Prakash at AIAG.ENET.DEC.COM                                      |
| UUCP:     ...!decwrl!aiag.enet.dec.com!Prakash                           |
| VoiceNet: (508)490.8139                                                  |
| BitNet:   prakash%aiag.enet at decwrl.dec.com                            |
| SnailNet: DEC, 290 Donald Lynch Blvd. DLB5-2/B4, Marlboro, MA 01752-0749 |