separate the command language and interactive shell

Chris Siebenmann cks at hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Tue May 14 15:56:18 AEST 1991

john at sco.COM (John R. MacMillan) writes:
| Ideally, the ``dead weight'' completion code that is indeed common
| (scanning the directory and matching) never gets paged in when the
| program is running in batch mode.  And if you put it in a shared
| library, it doesn't even take up disk space.

 There are a surprising amount of use of completion/shell filename
expansion used in 'batch' shell scripts, at least in the shell scripts
I tend to write. Most of the nominally interactive features in my
(sh-like) shell tend to get used in shell scripts, and most of the
nominally shell-script oriented ones have gotten used for interactive
stuff.

--
	"This Vi mode "feels" like Vi to me; it drives me nuts in the
	 ways that I am used to Vi driving me nuts."