TCSH exit crashing Sparc

Christos S. Zoulas christos at theory.TC.Cornell.EDU
Tue May 28 12:17:30 AEST 1991

In article <1991May27.221004.2841 at odin.diku.dk> thorinn at diku.dk (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) writes:
>pauln at TIRS.oz.au (Paul Ninnis) writes:
>>We're having the occasional problem using tcsh on a sparc station 1 under
>>SunOS 4.1
>>It appears to create a data fault causing a panic condition leading to
>>rebooting when a terminal user logs out (only occasionally)
>>(possibly by the use of exit rather than ^D)

[stuff deleted]

>It turned out that he set the coredump resource limit. This somehow
>made the kernel botch the fork/exit stuff. (There may be a patch by
>now.) I think any limit (zero or not) would provoke the crash.
>
>You might want to check if the crashes you see have anything to do
>with the coredump size limit.

I've had the same problem long time ago, not with tcsh but with
another program that did lots of fork()/exec() calls. If I remember
well, this crash has something to do with spilling the register
windows. Anything that fork()/exec()'s frequently enough can cause it.

The place with the most sun fixes (I know about) is princeton.edu (thanks
a lot guys!!!) The one you want is 1029939 in /pub/sun-fixes/sunos4.1.
We have a copy of the fix on tesla.ee.cornell.edu in
/pub/sun-patches/flush_windows.tar.Z

christos
--
Christos Zoulas         | 389 Theory Center, Electrical Engineering,
christos at ee.cornell.edu | Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853.