Killing process w/o number (csh)

Alan Barclay alan at ukpoit.co.uk
Thu May 2 19:57:09 AEST 1991

In article <+-A_7A#@warwick.ac.uk> cudcv at warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) writes:
>In article <3209 at mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> jgabriel at mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Juan
>Gabriel Ruiz Pinto) writes:
>>set line = `ps -ax | grep -v grep | grep sysline`
>
>I've always wondered why people always do this rather than
>
>	ps axc | grep sysline

the command "ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep listen" gives (all bar
command line delted)

/usr/etc/tcplisten ftp finger rlogin remsh rexec telnet
listen -n tcp -l 0002040190570101

while "ps -ef | grep listen" gives (all bar command line delted)

/usr/etc/tcplisten ftp finger rlogin remsh rexec telnet
listen -n tcp -l 0002040190570101
sh -c ps -ef | grep listen
grep listen

now obviously the shell to run the grep (*) and the grep itself have
now died so if you are wanting just the running commands or something
similar you need to remove the greps. In otherwords sometimes you need
it.
--
  Alan Barclay
  iT                                |        E-mail : alan at ukpoit.uucp
  Barker Lane                       |        BANG-STYLE : .....!ukc!ukpoit!alan
  CHESTERFIELD S40 1DY              |        VOICE : +44 246 214241