elm can't find vi

Rob Bernardo rob at mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US
Fri Mar 29 01:27:24 AEST 1991

engelsma at cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan) wrote:

>I recently got elm (2.3) running under Microport Unix SysV/AT (2.4).
>Most of the time it works just fine.  However sometimes when I send
>mail I get the error message "Can't invoke editor '/usr/bin/vi' for
>composition".   Has anybody else experienced a problem like this?
>Any suggestions?  It seems strange that sometimes I can send mail
>with no problems, and other times this error occurs.

You have one of those brain-damaged vi's that exits with non-zero when
no real error has occurred. Remedy: write a shell wrapper around vi that
always exits with 0 and use that as you editor in elm.

I understand this problem will be remedied in the next version of elm;
it will ignore the exit value of the invoked editor and only pronounce
failure if the exec fails.
--
Rob Bernardo					Mt. Diablo Software Solutions
email: rob at mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US		phone: (415) 827-4301