X11R4 server with TCP/IP support

Pim Zandbergen pim at cti-software.nl
Sat Dec 1 09:01:42 AEST 1990

bfls at cain.anu.edu.au (Barbara La Scala) writes:

>Has anyone compiled Thomas Roell's VGA server with TCP/IP support?  The
>compiled server in X11R4bin.tar.Z only has streams support, not TCP/IP.

I have managed to compile and link most of the stuff with TCP/IP support.
Almost all the problems I mentioned earlier in this group were
solved by using stock gcc rather than one modified for use with gas.

There are still some problems left, though:

  Xdm will not compile. It depends on <sys/un.h>, which is not on my
  system. I'm using ISC Unix 2.0.2 with TCP/IP 1.2.

  When I start the server, "Getting interface configuration: invalid argument"
  is displayed, just before it goes to graphics mode.
  This message turns out to come from mit/server/os/4.2bsd/access.c,
  which does an ioctl(SIOCGIFCONF) that fails.

  TCP/IP connections do not work. When I do an "xterm -display localhost:0",
  ps shows there is a process, and netstat shows there is a connection,
  yet no window appears.

  I had to add "-linet" to ExtraLoadFlags in mit/config/at386.cf.
  The comments indicate this would only be necessary when using
  non-shared libraries. This confuses me. Did I do the right thing?

Otherwise, everything works just like in the binary distribution.

Every help concerning these matters is greatly appreciated.
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim at cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70           phone  : +31 70 3542302
2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands      fax    : +31 70 3512837