QIC-nn tape formats -- standardization???

Barton A. Fisk barton at holston.UUCP
Sat Dec 29 04:20:20 AEST 1990

In article <2778D4B0.39B9 at telly.on.ca> evan at telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>In article <2734 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>
>>  I can tell you that a 60MB QIC-24 format tape seems to be the best bet
>>for interchange. It can be written by Sun as rst8 (*not* rst0), and is

I agree, my QIC 320/525MB drive reads the QIC 24 tapes quite well.

>b) Why does it seem like SCSI QIC tape drives are universally more
>   expensive than Wangtek-based subsystems *including the controller*?

I assume you mean SCSI QIC drives vs QIC-36 or QIC-02 interfaces.
The SCSI includes a controller on the drive as well. Wangtek also makes
SCSI tape drives. The whole idea behind SCSI is that you need not concern
yourself about the interface between the controller and the device (what
ever it may be). As long as it talks to the SCSI adaptor (bus) correctly
it should work. Some premium has to be put on this "plug and play"
convenience.

--
uucp: holston!barton
pseudo: barton at holston.UUCP