malloc

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Wed Dec 12 13:11:37 AEST 1990

In article <537 at comcon.UUCP> tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
>Does anyone know why this code should core dump?

  [description of malloc related problem deleted]

>On my system, ISC2.2, it core dumps on the third time thru.  On an
>IBM6000, it works as expected.  I suspect a bug in ISC's malloc.  How
>are others doing this?

I don't suspect a bug in malloc.  instead I expect the problem to be
in your code either with the malloc area that you are talking about,
or with another area that is being overrun.

I have developed a debugging version of malloc (which was posted to c.s.u
back in may/june) that would probably solve this problem with just a recompile.

If you can't get the library from a nearby archive, send me email and I will
forward a copy to you.

>It core dumps at the malloc according to sdb.

This is probably due to the fact that some malloc memory has been overrun
thereby trashing the malloc chain.

>I know this is comp.lang.c stuff but it seems to possibly be isolated
>to ISC.

I doubt it is tied to ISC.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170