Adaptec 1542 won't move off I/O port 330!!

Kevin L. McBride klm at gozer.UUCP
Sat Dec 15 16:22:11 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec3.205338.21158 at oct1.UUCP> mason at oct1.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>In a desparate attempt to prevent an I/O port conflict between a 1542B
>and a Stallion port card at 330, I changed the port of the Adaptec by
>fiddling the jumpers and changing it in /etc/conf/pack.d/dsk/space.c.
>But then as soon as I re-power the system after changing jumpers, the
>Adaptec's bios screams that it can't find the card at I/O port 330!

Yup, that sounds about right.

>Is the port address of 330 hard-coded into the bios on the card?  Seems
>very strange that the jumpers are avaliable to do it, yet the card's own
>bios won't accept it.  Any comment from the Adaptec experts?

Yes, the port address of 330 is hardcoded into the bios.  Interactive's
aha driver doesn't care about this of course; you can set it up almost
anywhere.  The problem only comes in booting the damn machine from the
SCSI disk.  If the card is not at port 330, you can't use the SCSI bios
to boot.

>Anyway, I sweated blood and got the Stallion to move off 330.

Probably your best bet.

--
Kevin L. McBride     |Contract programming (on and offsite)   |Brewmeister and
President            |X, Motif, TCP/IP, UNIX, VAX/VMS,        |Bottle Washer