TCP/IP emulators for DOS

Daniel A. Graifer dag at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM
Sat Dec 22 05:16:47 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec21.013134.29423 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>
>>Hi Dan - we've decided to to with NCSA Telnet which I've been told
>>runs excellent along with PCI (plus it's free).  Thanks for the info --

There's either been some garbling of quotations, or I never got some posting
between my posting and this one from Larry.

My posting lauding PC-Interface has produced considerable e-mail traffic.  I
hope I've been of help to all of you.  The above comment from Larry reminds
me to emphasize one item.

Locus, at least at the 2.8.7 release we are using, uses their own udp/ip
ethernet drivers.  These appear to be incompatible with other software.  We
tried both PC/TCP from ftpSoftware and TCP/Connect (PC version) from Intercon
with no success.  I don't know if NCSA telnet will work or not, but I would
tend to doubt it.  Note that you don't generally need telnet if you're running
PCI, as PCI comes with it's own terminal emulator.  If necessary use the
PCI EM program to log onto your PCI host, then use the host's telnet to reach
a non-PCI host.

This was with Micom NI5210 ethernet cards.  We have a WD8003e, but we
didn't try it.  If anybody has had better luck mixing either the commercial
telnet packages above or NCSA with PC-Interface, please let me know.

Dan
---
Daniel A. Graifer			Coastal Capital Funding Corp.
Sr. Vice President, Financial Systems	7900 Westpark Dr. Suite A-130
(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102
uunet!fciva!dag				fciva.FRANKCAP.COM!dag at uunet.uu.net