'386 Unix Wars

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.on.ca
Mon Dec 24 02:17:25 AEST 1990

In article <352 at metran.UUCP> jay at metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>In article <1990Dec20.233843.28559 at nstar.rn.com>, larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>> tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>>
>> My beef is that I can only put 12 megs in my machine without causing
>> problems with the multiport boards (which I can't seem to get to work
>> below 1 megabyte)..
>
>Curiosity strikes again.  Just which multiport boards would those be?

I'm not sure about others, but...

Both the Corollory 8x4 boards and the Consensys Powerports require you
to set a separate memory address for each board (you shouldn't need too
many boards, though, as they can be configured to hold 32 and 48 ports
per board, respectively).

On both cards, the address is settable to EITHER somewhere above 12Meg
or somewhere between 640K and 1Meg. One has to be a bit careful about a
setting in the latter range because it can conflict with auxilliary BIOS
locations (often found on video or disk boards). But it is preferable,
and necessary if you want to install >12Meg of RAM.

Both cards require you to set a port, and the Corollory needs an
interrupt too.

--
Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
     evan at telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504