SCO Unix ksh (file name expansion using {}) question

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Sat Dec 29 16:01:18 AEST 1990

In article <1476 at beaudin.UUCP> john at beaudin.UUCP (John Beaudin) writes:
>Suppose that foo and bar are 2 files in the current directory. Why will
>	$ ls {foo,bar}
>work, but
>	$ ls {foo}
>fail?

It looks like ksh does the same thing if the expansion "fails" as it does if
any globbing fails:  it puts, and puts (no pun intended) things back to
normal.  {foo} "fails" because there's only one thing in the list, just as
"*asdf*" would "fail" in an empty directory.

Just my $0.02; it could honestly be a bug.  (I'm just justifying the current
behaviour, something that every software maintainance engineer delights in
8-).)

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."