A question on the popularity of SCO Unix

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Wed Dec 19 14:39:08 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec16.024543.9817 at NCoast.ORG> allbery at ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
| As quoted from <2599 at sixhub.UUCP> by davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr):
| +---------------
| |   I have a tape on every system I own, but I would not give up having a
| | home UNIX system because I couldn't afford to buy a tape drive.
| +---------------
|
| I would --- I had to backup a 3b1 with a 67MB drive to floppy a few times.
| I'm not about to try that again without a tape drive!

  The first incarnation of sixhub many years ago was one of the earliest
7300's, running on a paltry 1MB. Doing backups just like the ones you
mention is what led to the original version of the "bundle" program.

  I don't back up to disk any more, but if I lost a tape drive I
certainly would, as opposed to not backing up. Old mainframe guys
believe that dumps are not important they're *vital*.

  I would give up beerfor a week or two to save up for a tapedrive
though...
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX