news and telebit

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Fri Dec 14 22:53:12 AEST 1990

root at medsys.uucp (Superuser) writes:

>I am using a Telebit 19200 modem, SCO-Unix 3.2.2, and downloading
>news from Uunet.  I have noted that routine downloads using cron
>will average 800-1000 cps.  BUT if I run the same polling script
>from the root prompt, I will get speeds of 1200-1800 cps.  Can
>anyone shed any light on this?

What are the sizes of your bundles?  Smaller bundles always
show increased throughput - and you need to bench large bundles
to get a "real" idea of throughput.   Here on nstar.rn.com,
we batch with outbound bundles at 1 megabyte - which saves the
long distance caller the additional overhead of sending smaller
bundles - which can add up real fast.

  {larry at nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar at mailrus.cc.umich.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)