UNIX and security <was: Unix & X-Windows on 386SX>

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver
Thu Dec 27 16:17:28 AEST 1990

>From article <1990Dec26.223213.2988 at comm.wang.com>, by lws at comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman):
[Questions about how much SecureWare is worth deleted]

> Ray wasn't speaking of dollars, Bob.  He was speaking of the more nebulous
> "lost time" and "wasted CPU cycles".  I don't know how you establish
> exactly what values those have in order to measure the cost benefit, I
> guess you'll have to ask Southwestern Bell that.

 Well ok, Ray may not have been relateing it to any dollar value. But I'm
sure the cost of the SecureWare addition could be determined somehow.
That's all I was looking for. At least this may be a start into tracking
how much security is costing. Something like buying a burglar alarm for
a car.

> But you don't have to know exactly what the dollar cost is to know that
> the human cost (my time, yours, etc) is too much.

  It's like selling insurance.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda at fiver.uucp         |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400