SCO doesn't sell UNIX

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Mon Dec 3 20:03:37 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec3.044437.21678 at ping.uucp> gorpong at ping.uucp (Gordon C. Galligher) writes:
>You have obviously not used Shell Layers.

Before tonight, the last time I tried shell layers was about 3.5 years ago.
On a 3B5...  But, since I was curious, and nothing was scheduled to happen
on kithrup for a few minutes at least, I rebuilt my kernel, rebooted, and
tried it.  My shell didn't terminate, and my system didn't crash.

I suspect it is merely one of the (unfortunately many) problems that was
fixed in 3.2v2.  I recommend you get the update...

>If you forget that '^' is a synonym for ';' in SH, and you execute 'stty
>intr ^c' it REBOOTS THE MACHINE!

Actually, in pre-ksh, '^' is a synonym for '|'.  But I get your drift 8-).

>I sent mail to the SCO mailing list, and although
>SCO representatives have been vocal before, they were remarkably silent
>about it.

I saw your message, and, yeah, I was somewhat curious about the lack of
response.  Which is why I went to all that effort to reconfigure my machine
and reboot.  (tongue somewhat in cheek there...)

>I would much rather use real job control, but ....)

Ah.  You *definitely* aren't running 3.2v2.  In 3.2.0 and 3.2.1 (aka ODT
1.0, I believe), job control is there, but doesn't work.  In 3.2v2, however,
job control is present, and ksh is shipped with the system (I use it
myself).  I'm quite satisfied with the job control (as I pointed out in my
message, to which you followed up, I believe), and it *is* "real job
control."

Before you ditch SCO, please let me urge you to consider getting 3.2v2.
It's not perfect (nothing is), but it's a lot better than 3.2.0.  I'm
running it at home, for example, which I wouldn't do if I didn't think it
was worth it (I'd run xenix instead, which I did for quite a while).

Any of the above pertaining to trying to push SCO should be read under the
consideration that, in my other life, I work for SCO.  The stuff about it
working udner 3.2v2, however, was written by someone who merely was able to
reconfigure a system, so should be read in a different light.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."