What's the difference between a 1542A and a 1542B?

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Fri Dec 21 22:38:50 AEST 1990

kevinr at sequent.UUCP (Kevin W. Rudd) writes:

>	Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Adaptec's 1542A and
>1542B SCSI controllers is?  I am planning on using one of them in an ACMA
>386/20 system with a Maxtor SCSI drive.  I have heard of problems with the bus
>mastering on these boards.  Does this apply for both the A and B?  Is there a
>way of telling whether the system will have trouble with the board before
>forking out the money for one?  Any advanced advice would be helpful.

I remember seeing your original posting, the 1542A is physically a larger
board (full sized) while the B is a 2/3 sized board.  Throughput is the
same on board boards.

The 1542 with a pair of fast SCSI drivers will out-shine most other
disk configurations (at least with 386/ix).  I am happy as can be with
the SCSI disk subsystem here on nstar --

  {larry at nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)