unattended cpio backup script

Tim Brown tim at comcon.UUCP
Sun Dec 16 04:56:11 AEST 1990

In article <28789 at usc>, mcitron at phad.hsc.usc.edu (Mark Citron) writes:

> find . -print | cpio -ocvB -K149000 > /dev/rct0 2> /usr/lbin/cpioback.log
>
> Do I have this backup script correct? Anything you would add?
>
> --
> Mark Citron
> mark at neurosci.usc.edu
I use tar.  Have had no problems with it.  I have had afio hang on me
tho.  Anyway this is the backup script I use everyday.

Here is what I use:

# Backup 1.5 90/03/03 11:25:56
# tape backup script

PATH=$PATH:/usr/devbin:/etc
export PATH

case $1 in
	-d)
	delay=$2
	;;
	*)
	delay=300
	;;
esac
# notify any users
echo "
		    W A R N I N G !!!

	A backup to tape will be started in five (5) minutes.  You
	will be logged off at that time if you are still here.  This
	is necesary so no data is lost, the backup goes as fast
	as possible and the integrity of it is maximum.  The system will
	take calls again when it is finished.

	Thank you.
	Administration
"|wall
# wait five ....
sleep $delay

# switch passwd files
# this is something I added ... The programs in /etc/rc4.d are modeled
# after those in /etc/rc3.2 etc...
# I donot acutally change the run level, I played with that but now I
# substitute /bin/sh for /bin/bsh (a fake shell I wrote to echo a
# message and then drop the connection.  The rc4.d programs also kill
# any users still logged in.

cd /etc/rc4.d
for i in K*
do
	$i start
done

# backup the files to tape

cd /
echo Started tape backup at `date`|tee -a /usr/devbin/Backup.log >/dev/console 2>&1

# paths_to_back contains complete paths of top level directories I
# want backed up

tar cf - `cat /usr/devbin/paths_to_back`|compress |dd of=/dev/rmt0 obs=1024k >/dev/console 2>&1

if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
	echo Finished tape backup at `date` |tee -a /usr/devbin/Backup.log >/dev/console 2>&1
else
	echo ERROR!!! Error during tape backup! `date` |tee -a /usr/devbin/Backup.log >/dev/console 2>&1
fi

tail -2 /usr/devbin/Backup.log|mail tim
# start system back up....

# put passwd back to normal, so it will allow logins.

cd /etc/rc4.d
for i in S*
do
	$i stop