TCP/IP emulators for DOS

Daniel A. Graifer dag at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM
Wed Dec 19 00:56:22 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec16.143133.25018 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>I have a WD8003E network link between various machines
>here at nstar under our domain, and on one of the machines
>run Interactive's PC Interface which makes the unix drives
>(all 1.5 gigs) into one large C: drive.   The problem is
>that their emulator which allows me to log in to the UNIX
>box is very slow - and uses function keys which I would rather
>use for WP running on the UNIX box.  Is anyone aware of any
>other terminal emulators available that will run over a IP
>connection?

We also use PC-Interface here to link about 30 10MHz '286 PCs
running MS-DOS 3.3 to our SysV unix machines.  Great product,
but like most terminal emulation over ip packages, it emulates
the old vt100, which only had 4 function keys.  They developers felt
free to use F5-F10 for various emulator control functions.  Like
you, we wanted the functions keys available for our database
applications.  We tried both InterCon's TCP/Connect for PCs and
PC/TCP from ftpSoftware.  Both of these allowed (with much work)
the complete redefinition of the keyboard.  Since both of these
are telnet implementations (ie, they run over tcp/ip) and PC-Interface
uses udp/ip, they could theoretically coexist.  But, to my knowledge,
PC-Interface will only run with Locus' ethernet drivers (we use both
WD8003e and Micom NI5210).  If Locus would support the Clarkson packet
drivers, you'd be in luck; but as it is, you have to use a batch file
to switch config.sys files and reboot to change between PCI and the
telnet packages.

The solution we settled on, which was actually suggested by Locus,
was to use a DOS keyboard macro program (we use SuperKey, by Borland
I believe), and remap everything they way we wanted it.  F1-F4 we left
alone, F5-F10 and ShiftF1-ShiftF10 send escape sequences (which we added
to the vt100 terminfo and termcap entries), and AltF5-AltF10 are mapped
back into the corresponding PC-Interface EMulate functions.  Works pretty
well;  Occasionally, vi or the database will treat an Fkey or an arrow key
as separate characters instead of a control sequence, but telnet clients
do that too.  Terminal Emulation is started by a VT100.BAT file which starts
superkey and loads the remap file before running EMulate, and stops superkey
afterwards.

I just wanted to add, the we think that PC-Interface is a super
product.  We've looked into switching to Portable Netware or one
of the MS-DOS NFS client packages several times, and always end up
sticking with the Locus product.  I just wish more people new
about it so we could be sure it will survive/grow.  I am posting
this, rather than e-mailing, so more people hear about the product.
Oh, I should mention that as we move into X-Window applications, we
plan on using their PC-Xsight X-terminal emulator, which is compatible
with PC-Interface.

I would also like to mention that Gaige Paulson at InterCon was VERY
generous with his support while were trying their product.

Disclaimer: We have no relationship to Locus Computing, ftpSoftware,
or InterCon except as customers.

Good luck,
Dan