How to get past end of cpio archive on tape

Root Boy Jim rbj at uunet.UU.NET
Wed Dec 19 14:50:10 AEST 1990

>>I have this backup which I accidentally wrote a cpio archive over.  However
>>the cpio archive is only 20 megabytes and therefore 1/3 of the tape.  What I
>>really want to do is get past the cpio archive and just retreive the rest of
>>the tape into a file and I will fix the remaining tar file by hand.  My
>>question is (drum roll please)
>>how do get past the EOF marker at the end of the cpio?

System V-oids have no "mt" program.
They think they don't need one.
In a minimal sense, they are correct.

	mt -f /dev/nrmt0 rew	->	echo Rewinding < /dev/rmt0
	mt -f /dev/nrmt0 fsf	->	echo Skipping  < /dev/nrmt0

You take the low road and I'll take the high road.
--

	Root Boy Jim Cottrell <rbj at uunet.uu.net>
	Close the gap of the dark year in between