The performance implications of the ISA bus

Richard Reiner rreiner at yunexus.YorkU.CA
Wed Dec 12 02:37:41 AEST 1990

Thanks, Piercarlo Grandi, for your clarifying analysis of ISA bus +
disk issues.  I wonder if I could ask you one or two questions.

>just using two ESDI controllers, one per each disk, will give
>tremendous improvements [because of multi-threaded operation]

What about using SCSI equipment?  Do there exist SCSI host adaptors
for the ISA bus which support multi-threaded operation?

And what about track-buffering ESDI controllers?  Would their
advantages go away if they were used in the setup you suggest (since
you claim that one would get effectively near-zero seek times anyway)?

--richard