security levels, V.4

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Sat Dec 8 01:38:56 AEST 1990

In article <685q02Rhf2ho01 at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> murf at uts.amdahl.com (Richard Murphy) writes:
>SV/MLS is only certified to the B1 level.  Several of the trade papers
>incorrectly stated the level.

it is "system v/mls 1.1.2 running on unix system v release 3.1.1".
so it ain't even SVR3.2 ...

>I've used both SCO's system and MLS.  Each has some occasionally inconvenient
>features.  So far it seems much easier to setup MLS to provide as much or
>little security features/interference (depending on what your objective
>is ;{) ) as you need.  Of course I'm biased!

i've read the final evaluation and it does seem like a nice little
product.  i've been told it was a commercial failure, however.  SCO
has probably sold significantly more of it's "C2" product than AT&T
has of its certified B1 product.

sad to say, but secureware is also doing security for OSF ...
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org