SCO UNIX 3.2.2 and Micronics 486

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Dec 31 16:08:52 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec30.002048.8203 at world.std.com> wmandrus at world.std.com (Wayne R Mandrus) writes:

| Is there anyone who has loaded SCO UNIX 3.2.2 on a Micronics 486-25
| based pc? Specifically, sco will not boot up if the internal cache
| is enabled. Has anyone seen this or something simular?

  I haven't seen this one, but I've seen some boards which won't run in
an EISA slot with the cache on. I have some benchmarks which indicate
that a 486-33 with cache OFF is slower than a 386-25 with 64k cache. I
would not even consider running like that, SCO UNIX will run on
486-{25,33} with cache on, EISA and ISA, and if it won't on your system
you should send the system back.

  I'm assurred by two Micronics distributors that all flavors of SCO
{xenix,unix,odt} run on the board. Since they also distribute other
products I assume they would mention one which works if Micronics
doesn't.

  Slight caution: SCO has been know to ship the same product with
"running changes" in the system. What used to be true may not be so
today, check with the dealer and SCO fast, before they both claim your
support has run out.

  Expect finger pointing. The way to get past this is to call the dealer
(system or SCO) and say something like "will your product work with
so-and-so?" WHen they say yes they you say "that's what you told me and
I just bought it and it doesn't work. This avoids having the support
critter say "I never told you that."

  Keep a log of times and names of people you contact, send confirming
e-mail to support at sco.com with the error report number. This makes sure
they have what you consider to be a statement of the problem rather than
what notes were taken by the being which answers their phones. It also
insures that you have a record that it was reported before the support
died.

  I have found SCO to be pretty good about problems once they believe
you can read simple directions and there is a problem and it's theirs.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX