Tuning SYSVR3 (Esix Rev D) (LONG!)

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.cactus.org
Thu Dec 6 13:40:36 AEST 1990

In <1990Dec4.162751.12224 at bilver.uucp>, bill at bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion)
	wrote:

> I can't tell you what takes priority in a caching controller, but I will
> tell you this, it more than makes a system feel snappy.

One effect is that writes are no longer synchronous.  AT&T's concept
of file system hardening is to do the writes in a certain order,
waiting for each to finish.  A caching controller with a write-back
cache makes something like "rm *" much faster since no actual I/O
happens until later.  You do sacrifice some filesystem recoverability
though.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james at bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789