'386 Unix Wars

John Temples john at jwt.UUCP
Sat Dec 22 16:37:28 AEST 1990

In article <5407 at rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd at Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) writes:
>What this tells me is that the Esix port is pure AT&T file system without
>any performance enhancements at all.

No.  The default ESIX file system is their version of the BSD FFS.
But although I've never run any quantitative benchmarks, I would tend
to agree that ESIX's file system is slower.  I run ESIX-D on a 386/33
with 8 MB at home, and ISC 2.0.2 on a 386/25 with 4 MB at work.  Both
have Miniscribe 6085 drives running 1:1 interleave.  The ISC system
just feels faster, even though it's on a slower machine with less
RAM.  But overall, ESIX seems more robust.  No panics, crashes, or
spurious reboots like I have with ISC.
--
John W. Temples -- john at jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)