'386 Unix Wars

Brian Beattie beattie at visenix.UUCP
Fri Dec 21 22:33:24 AEST 1990

In article <2812 at cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
->          Everex has a fair implementation (except for one or two
->things that don't work at all) but the worst documentation I have seen
->for an operating system (based on the two manuals included with what I
->bought -- you can buy more manuals, which I suspect will be of the same
->miserable quality).

compared to what.
I have the full manual set and it is as good as anything I have seen.

->
->For business purposes I recommend SCO.  Although I personally haven't

With *GAG* C2 security from *cough* secureWare?

->For good documentation and powerful features, you have no choice but to
->try to find a BSD derivative (anything except Ultrix).  Right now I use

no can do on a 386/AT unless you have a source license ($100,000)

->SunOS at work and find it to be relatively stable and moderately well

good for you but I the issue is 386 UNIX's

->
->Also available, still in beta-test (though they call it a "production
->release") is System V Release 4.  I would wait another year, but by

at least a year

->
->So, although the picture looks pretty bleak right now for UNIX on the
->386, things should improve when SVR4 stabilizes (and, I hope, becomes

I think it is just fine.  I would guess that the main problem you have
with the 386 UNIX's is the lack of BSD features.

->--
->Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
->UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

--
It is easier to build a   | Brian Beattie          (703)471-7552
secure system than it is  | 11525 Hickory Cluster, Reston, VA. 22090