SCO doesn't sell UNIX

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Tue Dec 4 17:26:59 AEST 1990

In article <2349 at cdin-1.UUCP> fred at cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) writes:
>Come on now. Of the sales going into the typical end-user shop how many do you
>think can or will install news themselves?

Well... the reason it (cnews) couldn't work can quite easily be run into by
a normal user.  Anyone who plays with the .maildelivery stuff, and has any
reasonably complex program as the receiving end of the pipe can run into
this mess.  I ran into it with cnews, because I'm getting my feed via email.

>Any site that is at that level should have no trouble at all with the
>idiosyncracies of a relaxed SCO UNIX.

Ha!  It took me a *half-hour* to figure out what was going on!  I know, I
know, a half-hour isn't long.  But most people aren't going to know this
product as well as I do, and could easily spend a couple of days trying to
figure out what was going on.

>I don't still don't think it makes a hell of a lot of difference to 90% of the
>sites out there.

The problem is that ODT is being targeted as a single-user system.  Single
user systems generally don't *need* the stuff C2 offers.  All it does is
slow things down, complicate them, and make things break.  (Note that adding
networking is a good way to make your machine easy to break in, whether it's
C2 or not...)

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."