Adaptec 1542 won't move off I/O port 330!!

Robert J. Mathias bob at ns.UUCP
Sat Dec 8 21:07:29 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec3.205338.21158 at oct1.UUCP> mason at oct1.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>Is the port address of 330 hard-coded into the bios on the card?  Seems
>very strange that the jumpers are avaliable to do it, yet the card's own
>bios won't accept it.  Any comment from the Adaptec experts?

The Adaptec bios is hard-wired to use port address 330.  I believe the
main reason for allowing alternate addresses is to support multiple boards
in one system.  The bios on the second board is not used since the bios
is meant to support only up to two drives (c: and d:).

I agree that it would be nice if they would support other addresses in the
bios.  I would also like to see Adaptec support more than two drives (in
a Dos environment) in a reasonable manner.  Their current driver that
supports users with more than 2 drives is incompatible with practically
every disk cache program that I've tried.

--
Robert J. Mathias, Jr                uucp: ...!uunet!ccicpg!uis-oc!ns.UUCP!bob
Unisys Corporation                   voice: (714) 727-0323