'386 Unix Wars

Jay Ts jay at metran.UUCP
Sun Dec 23 12:03:45 AEST 1990

In article <51537 at bigtex.cactus.org>, james at bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
> In <350 at metran.UUCP>, jay at metran.UUCP (Jay Ts, I) wrote:
>
> > I am *scared* of SVR4!!
>
> > And it won't markedly improve the functioning of their existing
> > software, either.
>
> Well, what about job control, BSD-style line editing (I'm not sure
> what BSD calls this), long file names, etc?  Something in there seems
> useful.

Job control, line editing?  Do you think that office workers use the shell?
Mostly, they are entering data and making menu selections.  Long file names
are a noticeable improvement.  Well, maybe.  Just offhand, I don't remember
seeing any truncated filenames in users' home directories.  Not many, anyway.

(Boy, now I've done it -- I've stuck myself into playing devil's advocate
against one of my favorite pieces of technology.  Somewhere there must
be a cure for me :-)

				Jay Ts, Director
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay