Dell System V.4

Michael Almond mra at srchtec.UUCP
Sat Dec 1 01:20:17 AEST 1990

In article <12743 at uudell.dell.com> james at raid.dell.com (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>Disclaimer: I am not in the unix group here at Dell: I can't speak
>officially for them.  But I can answer some questions on the state of
>SysVr4 support in a couple of FSF projects.
>
>In <335 at srchtec.UUCP>, mra at srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) wrote:
>
>> I've heard some people mention that Dell's Unix has then GNU code
>> already up and running.  Does anyone know if Dell released their
>> changes back to GNU?
>
>We have signed over the changes I have made to gcc (miscellaneous bug
>fixes so far, Weitek support and maybe OS/2 masm support in gcc v2).
>We don't ship gcc with any product at this time.  Ron Guilmette has
>donated gcc/ELF support to FSF - once this is stable, we'll probably
>ship gcc.  gcc 1.38 will include a minimalist no-debug configuration
>for SysVr4/i386.  Ron's work will supplant this in gcc v2.

Great!

I was just curious how well vendors support the GNU project.  Dell's Unix seems
to be just about the Best on the market, if only it would run (support) on
other boxes.  The price for a limited-user system is great $1000<.

Maybe I should get that flier back out.

;-)

---
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra at srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
[search]: Systems Engineering Approaches to Research and Development