PANIC: Kernel mode trap

Scott L. Balneaves umbalnea at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Thu Dec 27 15:06:38 AEST 1990

In article <47590 at apple.Apple.COM> erekose at apple.com (Erik Scheelke) writes:
>I am looking for any information about the following panic that occurs
>occasionally on my system:

I work with SCO Unix v 3.2.2 where I work, so this may or may not be of help,
but...

An SCO box that we had was connected to a SUN network, and used as a gateway.
We found that we would get intermittant network crashes, and sometimes, the
whole SCO box would go down.  We finally found (after much hair pulling)
that the "Reccomended" TCP/IP STREAMS buffers we way too low.  Specifically,
the NSTREAMS kernal parameter, and the NBLK4092 and NBLK1024 parameters.

I don't know what you have to do to change these kernal parms on your system,
but I would suggest bumping them up by 20-30%, monitoring the system,
and then lowering the buffers that are not being used.  On SCO, there's
a system util. called crash (ADM) that allows you to look into the
kernal to see buffer allocations, etc.  If you have something like this
on your system, it may be invaluable.

Hope this helps!

Scott