Legality Status of Thomas Roell's X11R4 server

Thomas Roell roell at informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
Thu Dec 6 04:18:01 AEST 1990

I heard from someone that Tom Friedel posted here an article (which was
canceled by himself) in which he stated that the binaries and sources would
contain AT&T source code. Since I had not the chance to read this article,
but assume that some of you read this posting, I want to say here something
about it.

First of all: There is definitely no AT&T source code in this server.

Why did Tom Friedel post this article ?

1) There was originally a bugfix for an AT&T driver (ldterm) which was the
   reason that VPIX would not run under xterm, or the 8th bit was stripped.
   I wrote this bugfix, and even told Tom F. about it, because he reported me
   a problem of his own, which I recognized being related to this driver.
   I dropped the idea of including this driver to my distribution because
   this would be illegal. You may now ask you UNIX vendor to get this bug.
   It's quite simple.

2) Tom Friedel did this posting because he works for a company that also wants
   to sell an X11R4 server for VGA. He didn't tell me this fact, when he
   reported me his problem. I also assume that he hab a look at my beta-test
   code. So I assume, he wants to do everything to drop my PD-Server.

3) When the next version of my server will be available a complete XView 2.0
   toolkit will be available. This toolkits is also planned for the product
   Tom Friedel worte, but I assume not ready to be delivered. Myne will be
   available around christmas.

Tom, is your behavior fair ??? I wrote a letter to you for personal use, and now
you are trying to fool me ?

- Thomas
Mail:                    Thomas Roell (c/o Daniel Hernandez)
                         Inst. f. Informatik / Technische Universitaet M"unchen
                         Arcisstr. 21 / 8000 Munich 2 / Fed.Rep. of Germany
E-Mail (domain):	 roell at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
UUCP (when above fails): roell at tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}