Unix & X-Windows on 386SX

Lyle Seaman lws at comm.wang.com
Fri Dec 14 10:09:23 AEST 1990

lee at wang.com (Lee Story) writes:

>This is specifically in response to Mr. Schwake's comment that C2 security
>isn't "part of the government", but rather "a certain level of security".
>(Perhaps the general discussion belongs in another group, but......

Yes, alt.security or misc.security.  And you will find that the consensus
is:  you can't call a system C2-secure unless it has been so certified by
the NCSC (part of the government).

[ ... ]

>My company sells SCO Unix and ODT.  I think they are good products.
>We use and sell it not only on PCs but on i486-based timesharing systems.
>I don't know ANY developer who wouldn't pay a few bucks out of their
>one pockets to have the additional security "feature" completely removed.

Speaking as an administrator, not a developer, I too must agree.  That
feature would be bad enough if it worked reliably, but when it breaks,
it's worse.  If most sites _needed_ to prevent users from reading (eg),
/usr/spool/lp/model/PSstandard, then I could understand.  On the other
hand, I know users that have needed to do so to figure out the options
(source code, the ultimate documentation), but were prevented from doing
so.

Lyle                      Wang             lws at comm.wang.com
508 967 2322         Lowell, MA, USA       uunet!comm.wang.com!lws
             The scum always rises to the top.