VPIX / X11 / VT Swtiching -- Crash on ISC 2.0.2

Dave Lee dave at dptechno.uucp
Sat Nov 3 09:53:32 AEST 1990

I have found a reproducable problem with VT Switching on ISC 2.0.2

Problem 1:
	If I am running a graphics application in VPIX (on console), and
do a lot of quick ALT-SYSREQ-F1 ALT-SYSREQ-F8 (swith to/from another VT)
There will be some glitches in the graphics output on VPIX.  This seems
to only occur when there is graphics drawing currently going on when the
switch takes place,  and only occasionally (but frequent enough to be
reproducable).

Problem 2:
	If I am running X11R3 (from ISC) on a VT, and VPIX on another VT,
and do quick vt switches, then occasionally VPIX will crash, very quietly,
without any error messages.  Once I got X to crash this way also, but usually
it is vpix that crashes.

Question:  Has anyone seen this behaviour?  Any thoughts on the culprit?
Is this a software or hardware bug ?

System Info:

Northgate 386 20MHZ   8 Meg Memory (4 on motherborard, 4 on 32 bit board.
ISC 2.0.2 unix, fully installed.
68 Meg RLL disk drive
120 Meg RLL disk drive.
4 partitions,  2 unix and 2 dos.

LOGITECH Serial mouse, on com port 1 (using isc's asy driver), in use
by both VPIX and X11.

Post or Email as appropreate.

--
Dave Lee