TCP/NFS

Jim Deitch jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com
Sun Nov 25 08:04:28 AEST 1990

In article <110 at gizzmo.UUCP> mark at gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:
>In article <1990Nov24.041255.24657 at jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
>>

>>Boy, I whish people would think about what they write before typing.
>

>>If you are NOT using a nameserver, you MUST have an entry defining
>>your domain.  The second line in the file resolv.conf will be
>>nonameserver.
>>
>>Don't believe me?  Ask any sysadm that has both SYSV and BSD systems
>>under them and you will see.  Still don't believe me?  Turn to the
>>manual page resolver(5) and read up friend.
>
>Lighten up!  If you read the man for resolver(5) you will see that you
>DO NOT have to put in a domain. It will default out to the root. Even in
>a large networked environment, this will work.  I am not a expert on
>network administration, but the entry that I recommended in the previous
>posting was derived at by spending several hours on the phone with
>Interactive's network guru's, and more importantly, it works (for me at
>least!).  Setting up my little network here at kodak was not the easiest
>thing that I have done, and when tied into kodak's VERY LARGE backbone,
>I ran into lots of problems and the whole thing became a muddied nightmare.
>I envy your savvy on administrating your network, but not all of us are
>at that level yet.  Constructive critisism is fine here, and we ALL can
>benifit from the input, but negitive critisism tends to turn people off,
>even if you are right.
>--

Mark,
   If you reread your original posting, you will sense the same kind
of message from it that I did.  That is that you are an expert at
building networks and have done this MANY times before.

   Let me ask you this, is it worse to give bad advice or no
advice at all?  His problem can be a little more complicated than a
problem with a disk drive or such.  If he has a problem with the
machine and it is hooked to the internet, he can waste a lot of
already sparse bandwith.  As far as the IT WORKS FOR ME! in your
message above, maybe you should have put it in your original posting
instead of the way you stated your "IT WORKS FOR ME" original posting.

   If you want to discuss this further, please let's use email, no
sense wasting net bandwith because we have a mis-understanding.

Jim

ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch at nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com
UUCP:	    nosc!jadpc!jdeitch