Development Package?

Derek Terveer dt4100c at medtron.medtronic.com
Fri Nov 16 10:32:07 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct23.123532.4081 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> In article <274 at srchtec.UUCP> mra at srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) writes:
> >	With the GNU C compiler around, do you really need the Development
> >Package.  I don't know off the top of my head if GNU has a debugger as of yet.
> >I know their are binary versions of GCC running around on SIMTEL20, among
> >other places.
>
> The Development system not only includes the c compiler and a debugger, it
> also includes the libraries with which you have to link to.  The FSF does
> not yet have a library release and even if they do, I don't know if they will
> be including the system calls and system include files for a particular
> implementation.
>
> The only way to do development is to get the development package and then if
> you want to, get and use gcc as your compiler.

Also, there are apparently some software packages around for which it is inadvisable to
use gcc as your compiler.  For example, in the README file for FAS2.07, it advises
against using gcc because (quoting from the README file):

          The gcc (GNU cc) support was removed because gcc's object
          file wants to link in some "helpful" functions that aren't
          contained in the kernel. But anyway, FAS is tuned so carefully
          and depends on the optimization behaviour of the AT&T
          standard C compiler that gcc won't have any advantages.

derek
--
Derek "tigger" Terveer
Just the facts, ma'am:		det at medtronic.com