Adaptec 1522 question

John Lawitzke jhl at kira.uucp
Wed Nov 28 01:05:22 AEST 1990

>From article <17 at kaspar.UUCP>, by ires at kaspar.UUCP (Bruce R. Larson):
$> >I was recently in a large chain PC store the other day trying to make an
$> >emergency SCSI controller purchase.  The store had the usual ST-02s and the
$> >like and then one of the people in the service department pulled out an
$> >Adaptec board labeled AHA1522.  This is a half-card configuration with
$> >a blue-million jumpers and a couple of ASIC chips.
$>
$> I have heard conflicting information about this card.  Supposedly, this is
$> a non bus-mastering version of the 1542 SCSI controller card.  I was told by
$> someone, at adaptec ts, i believe, that the 1522 should look just like a 1542
$> to applications.  I was told by Esix that the 1522 would require a different
$> driver and that initially they were would come out with one in a month, but
$> now they seem to have no plans to create one.

The Adpatec 1522 is definitely NOT software compatible with the Adpatec
1542. The 1522 is based on their new 6260 chip which combines the old
6250 and front end chip used on the 1542. The 1542 also has a 8085
microcontroller that controls the 6250 and friend. On the 1522 the host
processor talks directly to the 6260. Therefore, for Unix, OS/2,
Novell, et al you need a completely new driver for the 1522. Adaptec has
a fairly complete set of drivers out for the 1522. SCO Unix should have
1522 support out of the box sometime in the next six months.

--
j                               |%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl at frith.egr.msu.edu